A high-volume low-speed (HVLS) fan is a type of mechanical fan that is more than 2.1 m in diameter. These fans are generally ceiling fans while some are pole mounted. HVLS fans are best to spread large amounts of air at low rotational speed and move slowly hence named “high volume, low speed.”
Mostly HVLS classified into two types that are industrial and commercial. In industrial applications, air conditioning is often cost impractical. Fans that are installed in spaces like warehouses, hangers, barns and distribution centres can stop heat stress, increase worker ease and the output of both workers and livestock. HVLS fans are helped in commercial spaces, where air conditioning is more common, but increased air movement from ceiling fans can cost-effectively augment occupant comfort or prevent stratification. But commercial applications include shopping malls, office buildings, churches, fitness centres, airport terminal buildings, and schools.
Working of HVLS Fans
HVLS fans work on that cool moving air breaks up the moisture-saturated boundary layer encompassing the body and accelerates evaporation to produce a cooling result. Ceiling fans manufacture a column of air as they turn. This column of air moves down and out on the ground. That’s also called a horizontal floor jet, this deep wall of horizontal moving air is comparative to the diameter of a fan, and to a lesser degree, the speed of a fan. Once the floor jet reaches its prospective, it migrates outward until it meets a side wall or other vertical surface.
In ideal conditions, 2.4 m diameter fan produces a floor jet of air approximately 36 inches (910 mm) deep. A 7.3 m diameter fan produces a floor jet 108 inches (2,700 mm) deep, tall enough to engulf a human standing on the floor or a cow, its initial development purpose.
Commercial HVLS fans differ from residential ceiling fans by diameter, rotational speed, and also performance. Whereas some fans use contemporary blades to move air, other methods are being used to make it more proficient such as using airfoils.
Benefits of HVLS
- HVLS fans use comparatively little energy and deliver a gentle, quiet breeze. However, the smaller floor-mounted fans can help in limited areas and they have high speed so their high wind speed can cause problems; noisy operating levels introduce another stress-inducing factor and also cause to consume high amounts of electricity.
- Technically advanced HVLS fans are best to move the air of large areas and can move large volumes of air over an area up to 22,000 square feet. An HVLS fan can cover the large area so it may replace as many as 20-floor fans, so it can lower the chances of an accident as reduce clutter on the ground.
- HVLS fans also support air-conditioning systems work more proficiently, allowing them to be run at a lower set point. So it can help by mixing the air.
- Air movement can have an important influence on human thermal relaxation. Wind chill in cold conditions is considered unfavourable, but air movement in neutral to warm surroundings is considered helpful. This is as a result of unremarkably beneath conditions with air temperatures higher than concerning 74 °F, the body has to lose heat to take care of a continuing internal temperature.
- As air conditioners, which cool rooms and fans cool people. Ceiling fans raise airspeed at the occupant level, which helps more efficient heat rejection, cooling the occupant, somewhat space.
- It can allow the mixing of air in the space while reducing both heat loss through the building roof and walls and building energy consumption.
Applications for HVLS Fans
Industrial use: HVLS fans work well that way these are use industries. HVLS fans maintain airflow in the warehouse and manufacturing floor and also help in temperature control during company luncheons.
HVLS fans are best for aviation, manufacturing, auto service and also shop environments. However HVAC systems in these applications are simply not cost, effective or even feasible, HVLS fans make a great alternative to maintaining worker comfort and output.
Commercial use: HVLS fans can prove useful for commercial uses. Installation of HVLS fans cut down on heat and cooling costs as the increased airflow allows both to be more efficient in educational institutes. Also, sporting venues, medical offices, shopping malls and places of worship have discovered the same benefits and savings.
Agriculture use: HVLS fan technology was used at a dairy farm, farmers use them for cooler cows produced more milk. After the successful establishment of these fans in dairy forms, HVLS fan technology moved into other agricultural operations including equine, poultry, swine and fair exhibitions.
Besides keeping livestock cool and easy, the fans also control moisture as pests attract to moistures and cause the diseases. So these are best to reducing or even eradicating moisture in livestock settings decreases the chance of infections as mastitis in dairy cattle.
Industrial Ceiling Fans for Warehouses
In the warehouse, fans are used for different purposes many times like cooling, refreshment, heating, etc. These fans are small size, not a large size. Now a day large industrial ceiling fans are utilized that are much better than others and cover the large area. As warehouse large fan ranges in size from 9 to 24 feet in diameter and can cover the large area up to 1800㎡.
So the HVLS fans are used for many reasons as they can decrease condensation, circulate the airflow incomplete space, also warm spaces in winter by recommended reverse rotation, Save money on cooling and heating costs and HVAC equipment repairs, cool the area in the summer with up to 30% greater coverage, help in reduction of airborne pollutants and also protect your equipment and inventory from humidity.
- Air conditioners used for cooling but blow it cold air from a single point, but they don’t spread the cold air in the complete space. So large commercial high-volume, low-speed fans do this. Installation of HVLS fans results in cooler air, lower power bills and workers feel comfort and result in increasing their output.
- Some warehouses don’t seem to be occupied enough to justify air con. So there, heat can form dangerous levels for workers. Even when the air conditioner is not used then large industrial ceiling fans keep more people cooler in warehouses by producing a fresh breeze and eliminating stagnant air.
- According to some studies, It can improve employee comfort results in greater employee output by up to 2% per degree when interior temperatures are above 77 degrees. Improving your fan system can save your money and time, and also prevent excessive respiratory problems as well.